Monday, May 6, 2013

The Edukators!

I re-watched one of my (many) favorite German movies today in order to write a paper about it for film class. (German title: Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei) But you, dear readers, get my actual impressions of this movie because you don't care that the characters in this film are filled with angst and are disappointed in the revolutionaries of the last generation for failing and selling out.

I started taking screenshots 3/4 of the way through so I missed some real cinematic gold.


This is Jule. She's played by Julia Jentsch. She's crazy pretty, and one of the reasons I love this movie so much. I know that deep down, I would really hate to be broke and living in a crappy apartment with 2 guys and constantly protesting everything, but she makes it look so fun. She's so cool, but the scene where she goes through Hardenburg's wine fridge and drops the bottles she doesn't want to drink on the floor makes me wince every time. SOMEONE HAD TO CLEAN THAT UP, JULE. And you know it wasn't Hardenburg. It's going to be the maid because Hardenburg hasn't done anything for himself this millennium.


 Speak of the devil! It's Hardenburg, and he's doing something for himself. It's so odd that at this point in the movie, everyone else is fighting and confused about their beliefs, but Hardeburg is at his happiest. I don't completely go along with Jule, Jan, and Peter's anti-capitalistic beliefs, but I can follow them for a bit. How does one live with that much money?


This part of the movie was mostly the characters driving from Austria to Berlin; the scenery was beautiful. I cannot wait to go back to Germany.

I'm also happy that the characters realized that you can't do dumb stuff then try and dress it up as a political thing. They grew. :)



The worst part of this movie is that they have to movie to Spain at the end because Hardenburg is a grade-A scumbag who sold them out to the cops. But I think this photo demonstrates Jan and Peter's bromance. Shouldn't the girl they've both dated be in the middle? Nope, it's bromance over everything here. Also, Jule speaks English to the maid, which confused me the first 2 times I saw the movie because I had somehow not realized they weren't in Germany anymore.

Hardenburg, no one likes you. You had an excellent opportunity to search yourself and repent for being a slimy businessman, and you didn't take it. The worst part is that you pretended to be their friend, then called the cops on them. Stockholm Syndrome is not forever, my friends.



This movie makes me sad though. It has so much angst (the English variety, not fear). Jule sums up why this movie makes me feel this way: I don't have anything that I really believe in. The things I believe in are mainstream and don't need outspoken youth advocacy. This movie always makes me feel a bit guilty and also makes me think, which I believe was its purpose. Benjamin would love that I'm not being passive right now.

This movie originally had a longer ending, which I didn't know about until today, but you can know about right now! Daniel Bruehl is lookin' so fly in that suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment