Sunday, June 5, 2011

"It's Really Effing Hot"

Or, the ILOVEMUMFORD&SONSANDISAWTHEMLASTNIGHT post.

I went to Wakarusa yesterday. It was nothing less than awesome...I'd describe it as a lesser woodstock. It's held in the middle of a field in NW Arkansas. The bottles of water were free, and luckily (as Marcus Mumford put it) it was really effing hot, so I sweated enough to get a bit dehydrated and didn't have to resort to use of the port-a-potty. We were so close to the stage...like 4 people back from the rail put up to separate the cheap bracelet wearers (or us) from the old people with more expensive, but less cool looking, bracelets (or them). "They" got to stand right up against the stage...the railing for us wasn't that far from the stage, though. I'd estimate me as being less than or equal too 50 yards away from my favorite band ever. I really really really love all their new songs, and they sang all my favorites. I was a tiny bit annoyed when everyone sang so loudly to their old songs that I could barely hear the band's beautiful harmonies, but in the end it didn't matter. I saw my favorite band sing my favorite songs. It was nothing less than perfect. (Also, why do people not cheer for a song they love until the band begins to sing? I knew what song they were playing by the second chord unless it was new...just sayin'.)

Wakarusa was definitely a college experience I will treasure forever...I'm glad I kinda worked up to this level. First I had to do early week and get used to normal college stuff, then I went to a big showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, then I visited Ozark Natural Foods & the Fayetteville Farmer's Market, so I actually enjoyed all the hippie stuff at Wakarusa...I would've freaked out at the beginning of my freshman year. As it was, I wasn't scared or offended at all, although I think my lungs kinda freaked out as a result of being raised in the "breathe easy" generation...I don't know when I've been around that many people smoking cigarettes. But it was totally worth it. :)

1 comment:

  1. And by "Enjoyed all the hippie stuff" I mean I enjoyed observing it. If the hippies weren't so mellow, they'd probably have been annoyed by the Mumford-loving non-hippie invasion...

    ReplyDelete