Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In which I am aggravated by a tweet

This morning I saw that someone had re-tweeted the following tweet. I've removed all the names because this isn't about them; it's about an attitude.


1) I am concerned that a college-age male doesn't understand the pro sporting system in the US. This system is based on money and performance. Tim Tebow is not a good player in the NFL. Jason Collins is (to the best of my knowledge; I'm not an NBA fan) a veteran of the NBA and has proven himself as a profitable player.
2) Collins and Tebow do not play the same sport.
3) Collins, unlike Tebow, already has a job, so he probably won't "get signed just because he is gay."
4) Both players can serve as a good role model. Tebow is a great example of holding on to your beliefs, especially when placed in a culture that does not share those ideals. Collins is a good example to kids (especially boys) who may be having trouble reconciling their sexual identity with their affinity for sports and the masculine stereotypes associated with that.
5) Collins is a Christian.

People, think before you tweet. I don't see any reason why these two men should be compared since they are currently in very different situations. The bottom line in professional sports is money; personal dogma takes a backseat every time. I find both inspirational, and I am sure that I am not alone in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment