Monday, April 29, 2013

School's End/Muenchner Freiheit

tagesschau.de changed its home page, and it is amazing! The video was always really tiny before, but now it's big enough to see! And the designers made it easier to navigate, so I don't have to search the archive for tagesschau in 100 Sekunden.

It's the last week of classes. I'm wearing shorts and chacos all week...until it gets cold again, that is. The weather is so bipolar that I despair of ever cancelling our gas service. (We only have gas for the heater.) The next two weeks do not sound fun, but I know I can do it! And I have both New York and Germany to look forward to. Whenever I feel like school is getting too tough, I remind myself that I don't have to be here, and I could always just drop out and try to get a job based on my high school education. That sounds much worse, and I don't want to pass up the amazing opportunities that I have been given.


Have you heard about why this U-Bahn stop is called Muenchner Freiheit? It's after a group that opposed the Nazis towards the end of the war with mixed results. It's quite interesting: story here. (Again, it's in German. But you can always try using google translate for a vague idea of what it says.) I just think it's interesting because Muenchner Freiheit is the coolest U-Bahn station in Munich. There are cool lights and (as you can see from the picture) mirrors everywhere. It is less creepy that other stations, and it's near a pretty cool area of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment