Saturday, June 8, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

I finally went and saw the new Star Trek movie today. It was a momentous occasion for me because I'd never gone to see a movie alone before. (I have, however, gone to the theater with my family and gone to see a different movie alone once or twice.) Going to the movies alone is great. There wasn't anyone to laugh at me when I inevitable cringed and jumped because the sound was so loud that they probably heard it in space.

I also feel disposed that expostulate on my view that you don't need other people to be able to do things. Most of my friends went home for the summer; the remainder were working, "busy," or I knew they didn't want to see the movie, so I went alone. You don't need a significant other or a friend to do something that you want to do. I've been to the Farmer's Market alone, I absolutely love grocery shopping on my own, I liked seeing a movie solo, going to church alone is much more fulfilling than going with others (it minimizes distractions), and In the Heights was probably much better because I saw it alone and on a whim.

About the actual movie: Star Trek: Into Darkness is about Sherlock Holmes. He has become a Time Lord, but much like the Master he is bent on revenge. With Mickey as his companion, he destroys many buildings in both England and the United States because he is mad that he is the only one left of his race. Also the regular Star Trek characters are there as well. (Or so I'm told. My Star Trek knowledge comes from pop culture and the first film in this franchise. I also vividly remember my grandparents watching an episode the day my sister was born.)

I was under the impression that the movie was called Star Trek: Into That Darkness for quite some time. I finally realized that Into That Darkness is a biography of a man who was the commandant of Treblinka during World War II and, therefore, not an appropriate name for this movie.

I really liked this movie. I tend to like space-type things (Stargate, Star Wars, Doctor Who, (T)Raumschiff Surprise), so it shoudn't be a massive shock. One thing this movie made me think about was the ethical dilemma. You're not supposed to show yourselves to alien cultures so you don't change their destiny. But actual humans do that all the time. We expose cultures to advanced technology and train them to use it, and then we're surprised when war breaks out there because we didn't think about the consequences of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment