Friday, May 27, 2011

Birthdays & Redneck Holidays

My birthday is tomorrow. I get excited about my birthday the same way Michael Scott does...although I like to think I'm less childish about it than he. Last year, I drove to Kingfisher and went to my great-uncle Fred's funeral. It sounds sad, but there was heath bar cake at the funeral dinner. This is my favorite cake. I was soooooo happy about that. But this year, I'm going to see Flanagan's Wake, a comedic play about...a funeral. That irony just became apparent to me.

The sad thing about my birthday is that it quite often falls on Memorial Day weekend, the second most redneck holiday of the year. Here is my scale for redneck holidays from least to most:

Martin Luther King Day
Columbus Day
Easter
Christmas
New Year's
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving
4th of July
Memorial Day
Labor Day

Martin Luther King Day is least redneck because most rednecks don't know this is, in fact, a federal holiday. Veteran's Day, although not an alcoholic holiday, is redneck because everyone must show that they are more 'Murcan than everyone else. Thanksgiving involves football; the fourth of July is historically significant, which is the only thing keeping it below Memorial Day on the scale. Memorial Day is for getting drunk on the lake to celebrate the beginning of summer, but also involves (for some) a trip to the cementary; Labor Day is its end of summer counterpart, but it wins this discussion because it's the last hurrah of the summer.

I love classiness, and redneck things are the opposite of that. So it irks me a bit that my birthday falls on one of the great redneck holidays of our time. I guess that's the price a girl's gotta pay to have a good movie come out on her birthday every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment