Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lenten Photo-a-Day

Lent has become more important to me over the past few years. Last year, I started going to church in Fayetteville during Lent, and this year I'm really excited for this season. I'm using it as a time to better myself and reflect on the past four years as I prepare for major life changes in the coming months.

It's almost a full week into Lent, but I just discovered this photo challenge for Lent, so I decided to begin it late. I already caught most of the ones I missed, and I'm planning to capture the other two today or tomorrow.


___________________________________________

February 13: Who am I?


Humans define themselves using words. Therefore, there seemed to be no better way to demonstrate who I am than by taking a picture of part of my book collection. The words contained within these novels can define me, as do the experience of reading and contemplating their stories.
_______________________________________________________

February 14: return

The word return has two common meanings: to go back someplace and to give something back to its owner.  The most common return in my life is returning materials that I've borrowed from either the public library or Mullins.



__________________________________________________________

February 15: see

My vision is very important to me! Without glasses or contacts, I am virtually helpless and incapacitated. I suppose that's a good sort of spiritual parallel - we need help to see things in our lives.


_________________________________________________

February 16: injustice

Injustice is a common problem in the world. However, finding a way to capture it in a photo was a bit daunting, so I chose this symbol of injustice. 
Many students struggle to pay for their collegiate education. Even more drop out or do not attend due to this high cost. It seems ridiculous that the athletic department can accrue enough donations from alumni to build a new workout center for the football team when people are unable to utilize the University for its true purpose, education, due to tuition and other costs.


__________________________________________________

February 19: wonder

There is nothing that is guaranteed to turn me into a squealing eight year old more quickly than flight. Airplanes seem magical to me. I don't understand why man thought he could achieve this, and am still completely stunned that it was achieved and is accessible to everyone with government ID and a few hundred dollars. As such, I'm in awe of birds and how banal something so incredible must seem to them.
(Birds do know how to use their skill of flight well, however. It was almost impossible to get a picture of one when I was walking to my car today.)


No comments:

Post a Comment