Monday, March 25, 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's

I love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's a typical case of the manic pixie dream girl, but there's something magical about the story and about New York in the 1960s.

I watched the entire movie because the line so elegantly depicted in this gif popped into my mind a few days ago. "People do fall in love and people do belong to each other!"

I'm pretty sure that women are supposed to dislike the manic pixie dream girl, but the problem with that is that most girls have some aspect of that deep down, so we can't entirely discount it. (I have a childish love of airplanes and like to cook. I'm sure there's a MPDG somewhere who could sympathize.)

The problem with this character is that a girl with a family and friends and her own life can never live up to it. I'd rather have those things than try to live up to an impossible stereotype. (Also, at least I'm not inspired by the decorator's character. Quelle horror!)

But the movie is so good. Favorite parts include: 
"Ah, Polly, baby, you got yourself stuffed."
The entire party scene.
"With breakfast on several occasions."
And, of course, the actual opening scene. I'm hoping to do that when I go to New York in May. 


This is the look I had on my face when my French teacher expected me to remember anything we learned before spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment